Does modern technology confuse you? Astounded by the internet? Do you want to take part but don’t know where to start? Then the CareCo How To… Guide series is here to help! Whilst our previous guides have helped you set up profiles to make the most of social media, today we bring you a How To focusing on saving you money. Read on to find out how to get the best holiday deals around!
Taking advantage of the internet is one of the best ways of guaranteeing you’re getting a good deal on literally everything! From Amazon and eBay to finding online-only discounts, companies are desperate for your custom, with the holiday and travel industry one such sector. However, with so many sites to trawl through even beginning the search can be daunting, which is why comparison sites have become so popular! Use their knowledge and expertise to save you money.
- GoCompare Holidays: Working in partnership with WeHoliday, GoCompare’s comparison form is incredibly simple, whilst their holiday and travel section is packed full of handy advice and tips from people in the know.
- MoneySupermarket: MoneySupermarket’s sister site TravelSupermarket offers deals on nearly everything you could possibly need when planning a holiday, from flights and hotels to car hire and airport parking.
- MoneySavingExpert: Providing a more casual, ‘chatty’ service, the MoneySavingExpert site is run by television-favourite Martin Lewis, so you know you’re in safe hands when searching for the best holiday deals.
Of course, these are just three of the top comparison websites out there, with plenty more around designed to suit different needs. Try using a search engine to find one you’re comfortable using, especially if you have specific travel requirements/needs due to mobility issues.
Despite the rise in popularity of comparison sites, high streets are still full of travel agencies, with many holidaymakers preferring to book their vacation face-to-face with a rep. However, just because you’re purchasing in-store shouldn’t mean you can’t save money. Haggling is a tried-and-trusted way of getting a great discount or freebie thrown in – maybe free flight upgrades, complimentary treats, reduced insurance fees…who knows?! Here are some top tips:
- What’s the worst thing they can say – no?
- As the rep is closing the deal just drop into the conversation that you’re looking to save money and see what they say.
- Play deals off against each other. Find a cheap holiday deal online, go in-store and see what they can offer. Mention the deal you’ve found – it could be the key to saving money!
Alongside haggling, booking a holiday in your local travel agency is also the perfect way to combine the cost of your flights/cruise and hotel, with many companies offering discounts when you book both together.
Once your travel and hotel has been booked you’ll want to start thinking about the amount of spending money you want to take with you. Of course, with the exchange rate constantly ebbing and flowing it can be difficult to make a decision on when to take your money in – but that doesn’t mean you can’t shop around!
- TravelMoneyMax: recommended by the MoneySavingExpert, this site enables you to see just how much cash you could get at the current exchange rate. From collection in-store to investing in a cash card, this comparison site will definitely save you some money!
With a wide range of stores now offering foreign currency (from post offices to supermarkets) the high street is another viable option. Use Google’s exchange calculator to get an accurate estimation which you can then compare from shop to shop. It’s as easy as that!
Next time: how to find delicious and healthy recipes online.